Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Another Great Spring Turkey Hunting!

Another Great Spring Turkey Hunt as I recall it! Well it all started with the 4 am alarm going off again and of course I got no sleep jumping at the bit to get out there and smoke a big gobbler.  I picked up my camera man and buddie Jordan at 4:30 am and we proceeded to the hunting grounds.  We arrived there around 4:45 am and started loading up our gear on our backs for our tip toe into the woods. The gun of choice for this hunt was a banelli 12 gauge Turkey gun.  First off I'll go back to the night before. Here I am packing my gear and it dawns on me I have no hunting license for the year so I took two of my three girls to Gander Mountain with me and bought some calls and a license.  Then took the girls to the property to do some hoot calling, to place the birds.  I got out to late and they didn't sound but I figured they'd have to be were they normally are so we headed home.  Getting back to the walk in we made it to our spot and got set up.  We were using the B-mobile Tom with a real fan from a turkey taken the previous year and a hen as decoys.  At around 5:45 am the first hen came in on the spread and was quite ticked as I was competing with her in the calling game.  After she walked around for a bit the jakes and a few toms came down following the hens. At this time we had around 25 birds on the spread working around clucking and gobbling and strutting their stuff.  We were not satisfied with the birds on the ground though cause we could still hear a bird gobbling in the trees behind us.  So I kept using my Tramp Stamp Glass Call by Flextone and proceeded to call this bird in. 
 He came crashing straight down out of the tree and strut gobbled all the way to us.  When he made it to about 15 feet to the spread I took him down.  One shot one kill again this year.  Funny thing though is my nose started bleeding like a faucet after the shot.  Don't know what happened there but we got er dried up and as you can see from the pic we took a nice mature Tom again this year.  Hope the rest of you turkey hunters had a great season as well!  Bird had a 10.75 in beard and 3/4 in spurs. I am having the bird mounted in memory of my buddy Jordan Schroeder. We miss you brother!



No comments:

Post a Comment