Monday, November 1, 2010

It's That Time Of Year Again!



  To most people, October 31st means Halloween.  For bow hunters like myself, it means the beginning of the best two weeks to be in the woods.  Sitting in my treestand yesterday afternoon, my thoughts kept bouncing between this buck I got on my trail camera, and the upcoming rut.  Neither could get here fast enough!

  I hadn't seen anything but squirrels and birds since 3:00pm, so at 5:45 I decided to "tickle the horns" with my Knight and Hale Rack Pack.  Sometimes I think a lot of the new hunting gadgets are useless, but I like the Rack Pack's design, so I decided to buy one.  I think it sounds just as good, if not better, than rattling bags or those fake rattling antlers. 
  No angry bucks came running in, looking for a fight after the rattling sequence, but I did catch some movement off to my right about 10 minutes later.  It was a doe cautiously exiting her bedding area, ready to work her way to her evening feeding area.  She kept staring my way as she came a little closer-she had definitely heard my rattling sequence and was looking for the source of the commotion.  After a few minutes, she fed up a hill going away from me.  Just after I lost sight of her, I caught movement to my left.  A quick look through my binos revealed a buck coming my way.  He was only a little six point, but he was also looking around for what he had heard 15 minutes earlier.  He ended up walking within 20 yards of my tree, but he wasn't the buck I was looking for.
Pack Rack™ Rattling System from Knight & Hale

 
  So I didn't rattle in a monster with my Rack Pack, but I'm pretty sure it'll be realistic enough to do so-if the reactions of these two deer were any indication.  I've seen these Rack Packs at several different sporting goods stores, usually priced around $20.  http://www.knightandhale.com/productdetail.aspx?id=KH1019

  Check back over the next few weeks.  We've got a lot of good friends and relatives who will be in the woods, and I'm betting we'll have at least one or two good buck stories to tell.  Good luck to all the whitetail chasers out there.           

No comments:

Post a Comment